A social media news release is very similar to a press release only it is available online and there can be links and multimedia added easily. The news release can be done in the narrative manner or in the traditional news facts mannerism. The advantages are that you can provide additional media with the news release. However, a disadvantage is that many people do not trust the information in a SMNR. Public Relations is still training to change its image from the “used car sales” image. Other advantages include ease of sharing and opportunity for conversation in the blogging community. Other disadvantages include the news release being limited to the internet. Those who do not know how to access a social media news release will be unable to find and view them.
Some things a practitioner should consider when using a social media news release is to only use facts with the news release. You do not want to try to sell the company you are representing but to provide objective facts about the what the organization is doing, it’s goals, and how it is making efforts to achieve those goals.
Here are a few sites that may help a practitioner create a social media news release.
Some social media news releases that other organizations have created.
The social media news release that I created was for Georgia Southern University’s Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) Cadet Association. It covered the recent event they used to raise awareness about the program and what they do.
The purpose of the news release was to inform about an on-campus event that focused on physical fitness to portray the importance of being physically fit in life and especially as a future officer in the U.S. military. The event not only promoted people to go out and run, but the proceeds helped the Eagle Battallion Cadet Association provide military uniforms and equipment for the training of the future officers of the Army. The event also included health tips for people who want a healthier living. The goal was to raise more awareness of what the ROTC program does on campus. The target audience were people who support the military, as well as people who enjoy challenging themselves physically and keeping in shape.
Some tips that would be useful for making your own social media news release include the following:
1. Also, do not forget to include links wherever it is required. This will allow for the viewer to access all aspects of the information.
2. Do not include too many links, you do not wish to overwhelm your news release.
3. Use high quality images for easier viewing.
4. Use short headlines and subheads. You do not wish to repeat information from the lead paragraph.
5. Try to be creative to attract readers, but make sure your information is relevant.
6. Do not go too crazy. You do not want a social media news release that looks too busy. It will distract from the message you are attempting to convey.